Public keys - again.

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 15 09:17:57 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Realising that I hadn't installed lshw since I installed FC6, I tried to get
> it today and came up once again against the public key problem.  I'll never
> get the hang of this :-(  I followed the link on freshrpm's web page and
> saved the file, then ran 'rpm --import path/to/file' which appeared to put it
> into the right place, but still the package wouldn't install because it said
> there was no public key.  Wondering whether the problem was because something
> was broken in my repo setup - out of date, perhaps - I removed the repo and
> reinstalled it.  Still no joy.  Just what is it that I have forgotten?
After trying to help a colleague who had spent the previous two evenings
trying to get a wireless network card going on fc6 then ubuntu then
kubuntu, and hand editing a heap of files, I asked him if he had tried
freshrpms - Not. No shell required !

- firefox freshrpms.net
- click on: The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to
"click here".
- Let it open in software installer, or if you have defaulted to save to
disk, save it and then click on the resulting rpm {opening in software
installer}
- click OK.
- site can not be confirmed: do you want to install ? yes.
This gets the -release installed and the rpm key imported.
- pirut
- search eg ipw2200-firmware
- click the checkbox to add, OK.
- done :)

If no gui available then from memory the following just works, whereas
yum wont autoimport the key:
# rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/6/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm

DaveT.