ffmpeg has broken...

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 17 22:02:52 UTC 2006

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> Hi, I woke up this morning to discover that I cant play any videos in
> mplayer or xine.  I get this error:
>
> [rob at localhost ~]$ mplayer
> mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51: undefined
> symbol: faacDecOpen
>
> Everything is uptodate, and I was playing a video a few days ago.  So
> I am guessing a recent update has broken something.
>
> Any one else with this problem or with a solution?

I had a problem similar to this awhile back. All of a sudden I was
getting "mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libspeex.so.1:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

When I looked around for libspeex.so.1, I found an empty symbolic link:

ll /usr/lib/libspeex*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 Oct 28 14:01 /usr/lib/libspeex.so.1 ->
libspeex.so.1.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 139388 Oct 26 04:07 /usr/lib/libspeex.so.1.2.0

Switching the link back to libspeex.so.1.2.0 got me working again.

My guess was that  an update went bad.