Fedora 6 x86-64 Xen console is unavailable

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 18 02:55:34 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:48:51 -0800 (PST)
Josh <islifefun1975 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Intel T7200 laptop with 2GB memory and virtualization enabled. I'm running Fedora 6 x86-64.
>
> When I try to install a xen guest, I get  a message  "The console is currently  unavailable". It does not matter if I choose to install the guest OS (Fedora 6 x86-64) either as ISO or from a CD. The domain however (VM) keeps running.
>
> This was reported on xen mailing list by someone else,
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-bugs/2006-10/msg00056.html
>
> Any info on why console is unavailable?

There are lots of different combinations to worry about :-).

If you have a paravirtualized guest, only fedora kernels come with
the console support built in (its a patch from redhat). You can still
get to the serial console in these cases.

See:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-December/msg00083.html