mount LVM?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 18 11:51:13 UTC 2006

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>:

>>> and it does, I misread the output but have now reread it. It is 8e as you
>> say.
>>> Try following the advise in the error message and
>>> did so with this output:
>>>
>>> [....]
>>>
>>> I have started the LVM manager and there is a screenshot of what it finds
>> at:
>>> hp.bccna.bc.ca/~aa056/ScreenshotofLVM.png
>>>
>>> I only want to get the data off hda3 and I will then retire the drive.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reference to the tutorial, I'll read up on it.
>> What's the result of "ls -l /dev/mapper/* ?
>
> [root at localhost ~]# ls -l /dev/mapper/*
> crw------- 1 root root  10, 63 Dec 17 09:37 /dev/mapper/control
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  0 Dec 17 17:38 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  2 Dec 17 09:37 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  1 Dec 17 17:38 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02

These three /dev/mapper volumes are your filesystems. I am in a system
currently that does not use have an LVM except for a swap partition from
the other installation that uses LVM for the swap and / partitions.

To mount the partition, you put the /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol information
followed by the location to mount the device as below for my swap partition.

/dev/hda5vol/LogVol01   swap               swap    defaults        0 0

Sorry so brief an expalanation. This information should be in
/etc/fstab. Usually the first entry is by label and then followed by
mountpoint, followed by filesystem and so on.

Jim

--
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in
the world that just don't add up.