rpmbuild and whitespace in path names

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Dec 18 14:54:39 UTC 2006

Felix Schwarz wrote:

> Yes, I can rename/symlink the directory but I think that software should
> be able to deal with whitespace in pathnames. After all, just passing
> commands unquoted to shell commands is bad. And *denying* the use of
> proper quoting is /evil/ -- IMHO.
>
> Any hints how to resolve that issue? If not, does anyone know the bug
> report number in bugzilla (I didn't find one)?

You will find that a lot of commands will not handle spaces in a
directory/file name well. A big part of that is that when a lot of
the CLI programs were written, spaces were not allowed in names.
Because spaces are used to separate arguments to commands, it is not
a good idea to use them in names anyway. (rpm is new enough that
spaces were allowed, but some of the libraries it uses apparently
still have problems.)

Mikkel