firefox&thunderbird remote launch troubles

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Mon Dec 18 21:48:11 UTC 2006

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:

<snip />

>> Note that I'm using both fc6 boxes successfully, one as a workstation
>> and one as a server.  It is only using firefox or thunderbird
>> *remotely* that things go crazy.
>>
>> Any insights from anybody?  Should this be bugzilla'd (or should I be)?
>>

> Sorry for the delay in answering, but are you logged in to both systems
> with the same username?
>
> What happens if you log in to one system as, say, "mike," but the other
> system as "mwright?"
>
> Also, what happens when you do ssh -X instead of -Y?

Thanks for your reply, Thomas.

Had a xen mishap and spent the weekend building kernels :(

I've tried different user accounts and ssh options in addition to adding
names to /etc/hosts on all the machines, even though they share dns.
That didn't seem to have much effect.

Speaking of kernels... it appears not to be kernel related.  I've had a
chance to install some and build some, from FC supplied kernels to xen
kernels to vanilla kernels from 2.6.11 up and they all seem to work fine.

The problem has been traced to a remote fc6 box on an adsl line.  Remote
tasks that don't use gconfd-2 seem to work ok, but when gconfd-2 comes
into the picture performance deteriorates rapidly.  I don't know whether
the logjam comes from firefox/thunderbird sending massive amounts of
data back and forth or gconfd-2 imposing some other limitation.

I do note that the dsl line is asymetric, and there may be large enough
differences between the uphill and downhill buffers that I'm missing
some type of handshake.

Now that I'm done building kernels for a while I can get back to trying
to solve this one.

Thanks,
:m)