How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 08:53:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 10:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 11:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > >----
> > >with that kind of logic, why bother using an rpm distribution at all?
> > >
> > >Craig
> >
> > Because rpm needs help?  A blasphemous thought now isn't it...
> >
> > rpm is being forked because the maintainers aren't responsive to such
> > issues.  This may not be the ideal situation, but it sure beats doing
> > nothing.
> ----
> not at all blasphemous - but not necessarily knowledgeable either.
>
> rpm has served you since RHL 5 as I seem to recall but I also seem to
> recall that when building packages, you always opt for ./configure &&
> make && make install and I don't recall a single instance where you have
> made an effort to package anything yourself.
>
> RPM is a rather rich environment that goes way beyond the
> simple ./configure && make && make install process including concepts
> such as where to put the installation, dependency checking, user
> creation/deletion, post-installation processing and more.

Were you writing to me?? Good Lord I have used RedHat since it first
came out, switched to Caldera for a long time, went to work at RedHat
from 1999-2000 and have used rpms since forever. Check out my linux User
number, I was running RedHat then when I enrolled on the counter. I know
both Bob Young and Matthew Szulik.

My beef is, as I said, java -and- rpm, which I meant inclusively,
obtaining java from an RedHat/FC rpm... I use Java straight from the
horses mouth because it works, not the RedHat/FC java rpm. And, I get to
decide where to put Java so I can dink with it. No problems with that
method. Plus, I get Firefox straight from Mozilla. I have no problems
there either and keep the latest and greatest as they release them.

Maybe I'm ornery about it, but there are enough headaches to go around
without Firefox, Java and Macromedia Flash all being out of date and
non-functional, which seems to occupy about 20% of the email traffic on
this list, from some unhappy folks. I'm happy as a clam the way I do it.
That's the suggested method from Stanton Finley's site as well. I tell
about it to relieve someone's pain and suffering, I'm sure as hell not
getting paid for it.

Plus, after many many months of beating on my webcam, I used the tarball
to install the newest gspca driver/module for it and that also worked. I
tried the RPM, it didn't work for me, so I went back and re-installed
the tar file and I leave it installed to recompile it with kernel
upgrades. That also works for me and my webcam works flawlessly now, all
the time. Why wait for an rpm upgrade for gspca that didn't work when I
can have it running within minutes? I pick and chose is all.. very very
carefully with an eye to what works in the time-frame that I need it
to.

I admin my system, I try to not let it admin me. When java is
opensourced, hopefully there will come a day when I can just let Fedora
do the updating for me. That will be a blessing. But I'll go with the
extra pain to have it work, 4now, so I can do my own development that
needs to be done now, not relying on someone else's production
schedule. :)   Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net