boot USB errors

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Dec 20 11:46:10 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Jim Cornette:
>

> Tim:
>>> I found you couldn't operate GRUB without it, it needed a PS/2 keyboard,
>>> or the BIOS emulating it.  Tried that on three different motherboards.
>

> Jim Cornette:
>> I didn't realize that grub was so limited. I guess with the space it
>> occupies, it is pretty much legacy. Thanks for the information.
>>
>> Does it hang at grub or does it proceed to boot after the timeout?
>
> It just boots in the default manner, with no way for you to make any
> changes.  That's not a problem if you don't need to change anything, but
> you'd have to reboot (using something other than the keyboard) and do
> something else (change BIOS options / plug in a PS/2 keyboard) if you
> needed to change GRUB options.

Thanks! I was curious to what effect no keyboard would have on grub. The
answer helps since the next generation of a computer product that I deal
with has no PS/2 connectors and is completely dependent on USB working.
USB legacy is of course enabled on these computers by default.

Do you still get the same problem with USB devices once the OS loads
when USB legacy is disabled?

Jim

--
The sendmail configuration file is one of those files that looks like
someone beat their head on the keyboard.  After working with it... I can