dhcp trouble

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Wed Dec 20 16:46:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > I need to use dhcp but it is not working in an new fc6 box.
> >
> > I set "automatically obtain DHCP" and "DNS" in system-config-network
> > gui, save the file, restart the network via gui /usr/sbin/system-config-
> > services, and for good measure stop networking in the network manager
> > applet and then restart it (so that I can check updated dhcp info
> > through it).
>
> Doing and "ifdown eth0" then "ifup eth0" is usually sufficient to get a
> network to try and get an address from a DHCP server.  It sounds like
> you might have one of two problems:  Your network's DHCP server has a
> problem, your firewall is blocking it.

I disabled the firewall with no effect.  Still doesn't run,

The network's DHCP server works with the FC3 box sitting next to the FC6
-- am just switching the cable.

ifup eth0 gives me

listening on lpi /eth0/00:0a:79:88:a6:d0
sending on lpi (same address)
sending on socket/fallback
NO DHCP OFFER RECIEVED

How can I find out why????