FC6 Nautilus file properties options are crap

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Dec 20 23:23:17 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>> Has anyone had a look at the options you get for setting file
>> permissions in FC6's Nautilus?  No longer you can tick on or off read,
>> write, or execute permissions individually for user, group, and
>> others.
>>
>> ..... If this is aimed as less techno-savvy users, it's going to be
>> confusing. And for those who know about permissions, the thing is
>> seriously unhelpful.
>

> Brandon Rambo:
>> you could allways just use a terminal to do it...
>
> More like you *have* to use a terminal.  Why is that GUI tools on *ix
> just plain suck?  It's not like GUI tools can't do the job, other
> platforms do it rather well.  The old mantra that the CLI is superior is
> an ignorant attitude.  What's really wrong with GUI systems is the ones
> that *ix has are inferior.  TUI systems are even worse, the often
> vaunted MC is a really hideous thing.

It has an editor, can extract files from an rpm, download files from an
ftp site, change or view file permissions or ownership of files and does
give you a visual display for knowing what files are on your system.
Ugly it may be in some view, but for those used to WP51, Norton
commander and a host of functional and powerful programs which did not
have a lot of funny looking and rather inappropriate for the function
icons, it should be praised and kept around within the distribution.

> The prior behaviour was quite fine, this change is a downgrade.  If
> Linux is to make headway against the evil empire, it's got to stop doing
> stupid things.  Nautilus is a half-assed clone of Windows Explorer.

I liked gmc over nautilus and liked the option to choose one or the
other during install from the past distributions.  The mime setup was a
bit more user friendly and more hit than miss like nautilus, both at the
time either was selectable.

With Evolution being an Outlook clone, other items are expected to look
  and work in ways similar to the other OS. It seems that the majority
seem to feel comfortable with familiarity rather than functionality and
a working but more homely interface GUI.

I think that a lot of GNOME interfaces will become less functional with
the apparent mindset of some GNOME developers, nautilus will probably be
less functional on its next revision. I guess you need to get used to
it, unless you can convince the developers of their evil ways.

Jim

--
When a child is taught ... its programmed with simple instructions --
and at some point, if its mind develops properly, it exceeds the sum of