create an .iso file from an audio cd

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Thu Dec 21 12:38:56 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wed December 20 2006 6:21 pm, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
>> Claude Jones kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai 21
>>
>> joulukuu 2006 00:19):
>>
>>> We have a recording on CD that was made by people in our
>>> organizational chorus - it has ten tracks. We want to take
>>> those and create an .iso image file for associates in our
>>> foreign offices to download and burn their own audio cd's
>>>
>> Audio CDs don't have any filesystem, so you can't use the ISO
>> image format for them (AFAIK). The cdrdao program can create
>> a .bin image with a .toc (table of contents) file that can be
>> used to burn an Audio CD. See "man cdrdao".
>>

> Thanks Markku and to all the other responders: I should have been more
> specific. The image I need to create is one that can be burned on Windows
> machines with Windows software, preferably open-source. K3b would work in
> Linux land, but it seems to create its own .img file format for the image,
> and I couldn't find anything in that other OS world to deal with it. I'm
> dealing with a large non-profit that has no money to spend on software, and
> is locked into an installed Windows base. I'm reading away on this...

I know it's not creating an iso, but the Windows clients could be given
a folder full of audio files with a Windows Media Player playlist. Then
WMP could burn an audio CD for you. You could continue to use K3b in
Linux. You'd just end up with a small difference in implementation
between Windows and Linux.

Just my thoughts.

Justin W