OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Thu Dec 21 14:25:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 02:38:03AM -0800, Les wrote:
> This will displace windows quite easily especially due to the hassels
> of getting windows, the support costs, and the licensing fees and so
> forth that cause windows to be one of the most hated OS's ever produced.

Advocatus Diaboli time.  I really don't think Fedora is a Windows-
displacement option either at home or in business; and it's not any
of the technical issues.  Simply put, neither home nor business users
can deal with a six-month replacement cycle that obsoletes their base
software in a year or so.

We're not just talking about "there's something newer"; we're talking
about "you stop getting updates and patches."  Fedora Legacy mitigated
that; without legacy updates that at least offer the option of not having
to do forced updates every year, I think you're optimistic to see Fedora
as a Windows-killer.

I had no problems with my last upgrade--but that was one laptop.
Look at the problems reported on the list with every new release
of Fedora--and imagine you're in IT, and have to support maybe 4-5
variants of workstations, not to mention servers (if you decide to try
Fedora there); and not just one of each, but maybe dozens, hundreds,
or even thousands.

Or you're a home user, with one to several machines--but you're NOT
a tech, just want the computer to balance the checkbook and browse
the Internet, with one for your spouse and a kid's homework machine.
Face it-- most such users get the OS with the computer, and throw out the
computer and OS when it's time to change.  Few home users who were stuck
with Windows ME or Windows XP Home ever have upgraded (and they usually
find-- especially the former--that the hardware can't hack the upgrade.)
So if the OS isn't going to remain patched and stable for the 2-3 years
or more these people keep their machine, it ain't gonna fly.

So Fedora isn't the Linux Windows Killer. And maybe that's not bad.
It is a place for the avant-garde to test the edge; problems are accepted
as part of the process, and there is community support and individual
efforts to resolve issues.

$0.02, YMMV.
--
	Dave Ihnat