FC6 VPN

Jim Douglas jdz99 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 17:14:38 UTC 2006

>From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: FC6 VPN
>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:17:53 -0600

>>>Not exactly - with ssh you have to specify every port to forward and
>>>every destination address.   If you want something like cipe, look
>>>at openvpn.
>>
>>Right, I had a little script for that to specify the ports... the
>>network beenies set it up for me and my tired little brain. ssh had to
>>happen first, followed by cipe, with another script to transfer my Larry
>>Ellison's Finest (Oracle) from my machine in my cube at RH to my home
>>via a 56k modem. (this is back in 2000) If you were home sick, you still
>>worked... bless 'em.
>>
>>Took awhile, for everything to transfer, but once it did it was almost
>>as fast as being in front of my office machine. It was all tab to next
>>box and fill-in the blanks crap anyway. The gui stayed pretty much the
>>same most of the time, so it didn't refresh much. Heck, I was more
>>secure than most bank transfers.
>>
>>Imagine being in charge of the networks at RH. You'd be the best of the
>>best, or had better be with all the huge name developers there in one
>>spot. I was just a cut n' paste monkey with 800 emails staring us in the
>>face on Monday morning for user tech support requests... generally for
>>the same problems over and over and over again. Write once, paste many
>>many times. <chuckles> Ric
>
>Actually the nicest 'work remotely' solution now is probably NX from
>http://www.nomachine.com/.  You can download their free client for
>various platforms and run either their commercial server or the
>freenx variation.  It gives you remote X capability without the
>lag on connections with low bandwidth or high latency and can run
>over an ssh-encrypted link.
>
>--
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
>--

This should help you get it up and running and evaluate it in about 20
minutes...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/FreeNX-Installation-Guide-for-Fedora-6-42028.shtml

My original post asked about freenx, it's good to hear confirmation that it
may very well be the best solution.   I love what I see so far on my
intranet but I am concerned with internet security being new to SSH also.

My concerns are;

1- The most secure way to open port 22 with iptables.
2 - The most secure config options in using SSH w/ FreeNX

I appreciate any help..

Thanks,
Jim