Fedore 2.6.18-1.2868.fc6xen header files?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 07:04:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 03:57 +0200, Jacques Butcher wrote:
> I new to Fedora - or Linux for that matter.  I trying to configure VMware
> tools onto my new Fedora installation but itś looking for the kernel
> header files which I can seem to find anywhere on the DVD I downloaded from
> redhat or the net.  When I type uname -r it reports my kernel level as
> 2.6.18-1.2868.fc6xen.  VMware tools installed fine and I now trygint to run
> the vmware-config-tools.pl scrips which are lloking for these kernel source
> files.
>
> Wany help will be greatly appreciated.

A. I'd advise against using vmware under a xen kernel. IMHO Even if does
work, you're opening the door to a world of trouble.
B. Please execute this command:
$ ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include
Does it return anything?
C. If it does (meaning you have a working kernel-devel package), try
executing this command:
$ touch /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux/config.h
And retry running vmware-config.pl.

- Gilboa