Any good check printing programs?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 25 05:35:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:17:53 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

>I think you are wasting your time unless you just want to fill in the
>blanks of a ready-made, purchased from the bank, check.

That's exactly what I want to do (and what quicken can do as well).

> However, I'd
> imagine that most are capable of printing on the banks checks even if a
> template might have to be built.

I imagined that too until I tried a bunch of them. GnuCash can print
exactly one check, and you have to tell it where the fields are
each and every time you want to print a check (it won't remember
templates for different checks).

KMyMoney won't print anything - not reports, not nuthin (and especially
no checks).

>But, why bother since most online banking can now be done without you're
>having to write a check at all.

Every once and a while I have to write a real check (less and less frequently
as time passes), and it always irritates me to write the same set of numbers
on the check and into the computer, so if I write the program, by the year
3099 I will have saved enough time duplicating information on checks to
make up for the time it took to write the program :-).

But, like I said, it is mostly a Qt4 learning exercise (and if I do release it,
there will be one less "yea, but linux can't do XXX" :-).