Any good check printing programs?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 25 05:59:15 UTC 2006

On Monday 25 December 2006 00:35, Tom Horsley wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:17:53 -0500
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>I think you are wasting your time unless you just want to fill in the
>>blanks of a ready-made, purchased from the bank, check.
>
>That's exactly what I want to do (and what quicken can do as well).
>
>> However, I'd
>> imagine that most are capable of printing on the banks checks even if
>> a template might have to be built.
>
>I imagined that too until I tried a bunch of them. GnuCash can print
>exactly one check, and you have to tell it where the fields are
>each and every time you want to print a check (it won't remember
>templates for different checks).

Have you tried gnumeric?  I haven't checked, but its rather highly thought
of.  Hummm, just did, couldn't find a print function except for the whole
sheet. Bummer.

>KMyMoney won't print anything - not reports, not nuthin (and especially
>no checks).
>
>>But, why bother since most online banking can now be done without
>> you're having to write a check at all.
>
>Every once and a while I have to write a real check (less and less
> frequently as time passes), and it always irritates me to write the
> same set of numbers on the check and into the computer, so if I write
> the program, by the year 3099 I will have saved enough time duplicating
> information on checks to make up for the time it took to write the
> program :-).
>
>But, like I said, it is mostly a Qt4 learning exercise (and if I do
> release it, there will be one less "yea, but linux can't do XXX" :-).

Which is always a Good Thing(TM), so if you've ever been green like
Kermit, then by all means jump right in.  Of course I'm not the boss,
just another retired old fart tossing in his $0.02 worth.  Adjust for
inflation over the last 72 years. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)