gthumb on FC6 not seeing jpeg files

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 28 04:13:59 UTC 2006

Tom Freeman wrote:
> I'm baffled on how to trouble shoot this one. I have a machine
> running  FC6 with the 2.6.18-1.2798 kernel and gthumb-2.7.8-3. When
> called from  the command line as a viewer, gthumb will happily
> display my jpeg  files. However, used as a browser like I usually
> use gthumb, no jpeg  files are found, although gif files are. I'm
> not finding any error  messages either in the log files, nor when
> running gthumb from the  command line. Turning selinux on or off
> doesn't seem to matter.  Nautilus does see the files.

That'd quite odd.  I can confirm that gthumb works fine with jpegs
here.  I've used it with downloaded images as well as with images from
several different cameras and SD cards.  The files I've used have
extentions of either .jpg or .jpeg, both upper and lower case.

Can you try from a new account to see if some user leve settings have
gotten themselves all messed up?

> Any ideas on what is going on here? I've got a new granddaughter who
> lives out of state, so pictures are the only contact at the moment.

I can understand the importance of a good picture viewer then. :)

Wisdom has two parts: (1) having a lot to say and (2) not saying it.