donated computers lab setup

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 29 07:17:03 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 15:59 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>>I recently received 10 computers from an organization that wants them
>>put to use.  They're PI and PII boxes, which surely can be useful in
>>many ways.  First thing, though, I need to see how many actually work.
>>Then I need to have a barebones OS to put on them.  If the drives work,
>>they'll be really small.  Any suggestions?  Anyone doing something similar?
>>Happy New Year,
>>Tom
>

> Good Will Industries used to slap FC3 on theirs, in Roanoke VA. Great
> people to do so. They'd sell an entire outfit for $100. I doubt FC5 or
> FC6 would install though. Happy New Year to you, too. Ric

If the discs are really small, then you might consider a LiveCD like
KNOPPIX or Scientific Linux Live. You can find a long list here:

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Puppy Linux allows one to use a multi-session CD or DVD to save
one's complete install, along with changes, and then run out
of RAMdisc.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.