qwerty layout shortcuts

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 14:24:47 UTC 2006

On 29/12/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> > I really can't visualise what you mean here.  You're using one hand to
> > manipulate the fingers of the other, so you can type CTRL C with the
> > left hand?
>
> I think Ed means left-hand CTRL key, right-hand C key.  That's not what
> Tim suggested and it's not what I'd think of for a two-handed combination.
>
> I can't resist pointing out that the Microsoft "innovation" of putting the
> left control key to the left of the space bar is the devil's inspiration.
> Long-time Unix hands and early PC users will remember keyboards with the
> CTRL key next to the A, where God intended it to be.  (You can still get
> them from Sun, and I always swap my control and caps-lock keys in
> Prefereces -> Keyboard -> Layout Options.
>
> That makes one-handed control-key combos a *lot* easier, and it makes
> using Emacs a dramatically different experience than otherwise.

Matthew,
Please, I'd like to keep this thread on topic. I very much need the
keyboard shortcuts in my Feodra box functioning. I'd appreciate it if
you'd start another thread to discuss the merits of different methods
of typing keyboard shortcuts. The Fedora list goes off topic very
easily and it won't be the first time that valuable threads are lost
in the noise.

If anybody has any information on helping me bind keyboard shortcuts
to the physical keys, and not to the letter that they represent (as I
use layouts other than US English) then I'd appreciate any tips.
Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/php.html
http://englishlirics.com