FC4 and FC6 + ethernet printer

mikkel at infinity-ltd.com mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 29 19:09:53 UTC 2006

Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>:

> Most of my printing is done over the lan to an FC4 box.  Recently, though, a
> multi-function device has been added as an ethernet device.  In theory I
> should be able to access it, but I haven't figured out how.  Any hints?
>
> Anne

It depends on what the printer supports. You may have to configure it
the same as a printer attached to a Windows machine, or you may need
to configure it as a remote lpd sytem print queue. It may also suport
IPS print services. It may also be a JetDirect compatable device. The
first thing to do is check the printer documentation and see what it
supports. You can then configure CUPS to use one of the methods. The
printer should look like a remote print server of one kind or another
to other systems on the network.

Mikkel