good command-line audio player for fc5?

mikkel at infinity-ltd.com mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 29 19:32:53 UTC 2006

Quoting Peter Horst <phorst at speakeasy.net>:

> Thanks very much - everything works when I su to root. The permissions
> of the device in question follow - what is the rational thing to do
> here? I don't want to include myself in the 'root' group, do I? And
> what the heck is '14,'?  And 'c' as a file type? A few new ones on me...
>
> crw------- 1 root root  14,    0 Dec 29 00:18 mixer

Part of the problem is that the permissions get change when someone
logs in on the local machine. (Ssh logins do not count.) This is
controlled by console.perms and is designed to give the person logged
in localy control of specific devices, sound being one of them. Now,
if you are loggind in at the console, and then ssh into the machine,
the permissions are correct for you to play sounds. But if someone
else is logged in, or no-one is logged in, then ther permissions are
set to prevent what you are trying to do. (It used to be a common
prank to to a remote login and play something on the machine when
someone else was logged in...)

Mikkel