Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?

jim tate mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 30 22:59:04 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 10:08 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy writes:
>>

>>> What is the safest way of allowing access to a home system
>>> from a remote computer?
>>> I am running Fedora-6 and shorewall.
>>>
>>> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>>>
>> Run ssh on a non-default port.
>>
>> Turn off passwords.  Use ssh certificates.
>>

> There is something wrong with just saying use ssh. One assumes that the
> home machines are masqueraded behind a router. It seems to me that one
> must configure that all packets arriving at the router address be routed
> to a particular home machine address.
> --
> Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it. -- William Shakespeare,
> "Henry IV"
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

Goto this site below and download,       NX Free Edition for Linux,   NX
Node for Linux,  NX Client for Linux
The NX will work right out of the box on FC 5, 6 and it uses SSH
tunneling, SSH X-Forwarding.
I use the NX-Client on my Laptop and a PC Server 800 miles away.
The only kicker is , because the PC server on the other end is connected
to DHCP internet ISP, the
person at the PC server has to send me the the IP address , by going to
http://getip.com, If you have a
static IP (Fixed IP) for the server then you would be ahead of the game.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Jim