Earphones - no sound

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Dec 30 23:21:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 01:49 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:

> > So, I buy a pair of earphones so that I can continue watching YouTube
> > while my wife sleeps, and I find that when I plug them into my laptop,
> > the sound disappears! When I unplug it, the sound comes back on from
> > my laptop speakers. I looked into the Volume Control and tried
> > twiddling with 'alsamixer', but cannot figure out which control to set
> > to get the sound into my earphones.

You also might try the earphones with another sound source.  Plugging in
earphones (or external speakers) turns off the built-in speakers for my
laptop and a couple of external speakers I'm familiar with.  It's a
feature.  Could be that either the earphones are bad or they have a
built-in volume control that happens to be set to off.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce