Skype solution

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 19:11:47 UTC 2006

On 12/29/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> I remember a relatively recent thread in which folks complained about
> having trouble getting their microphones to work in Skype with FC6, but I
> don't recall a definitive solution being posted.  It took me quite a bit
> of fiddling, but I finally got it.
>
> For the use of anyone who cares, here are the relevant mixer settings from
> my GNOME volume control.  I did this on a Thinkpad T41, with Intel
> 82801DB-ICH4 using the ALSA drivers.  I'm using skype-1.3.0.53-fc5.
>
> On the Playback tab, line in and mic are muted.  Master and PCM are
> unmuted--Master is up full and PCM is at about 75%.
>
> On the Capture tab, both the speaker icon and the mic icon are unmuted.
> They are linked, and they are set at about 40% gain.  (Much higher and
> you'll start to hear feedback.)
>
> On the Switches tab, I have Mic Boost (+20dB) checked, and (inexplicably,
> but it works--I don't know yet if other settings also work) Microphone
> Capture and Line-in Capture are unchecked.
>
> On the Options tab, Mic Select is Mic1.
>
> When the Skype test call connects, if you have the Capture tab displayed,
> you will see the gain boosted to about 70%.  The test call works fine and
> the playback is perfectly audible.
>
> So the key seems to be to put Mic Boost on and adjust the gain for a
> reasonable level with no feedback.
>
> Hope that info helps somebody.
Thanks very much, i will try and let you know!
Until now I have been unable to make it work on my FC6, so I started
using Ubuntu from my another partition, since now i will go back to my
FC6 if that works!
:)

regards,
Guillermo.
--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."