DVD Playback under Fedora Core 4

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Feb 13 20:41:27 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 17:26, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:36:40 +0200,
>>
>>  Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr> wrote:
>>
>>>It can never even start playing a DVD movie because there is
>>>no URI or URL or something like that to handle "dvd://" well
>>>actually it is /dev/hdc but anyway
>>
>>The device specification is different than the device type. You shouldn't
>>have to specify the device unless you have more than one dvd player.
>>If you don't tell it you are playing a DVD then things don't work
>>correctly. My memory is that the CSS keys don't get extracted from the DVD
>>and you end up seeing scrambled video. But its been over a month since I
>>last played with xine, so i may not have remembered things completely
>>correctly.
>

> I suspect that the message seen concerned the MRL, not URL.

There is a reference to an MRL too.

  It looks  suspiciously like the message you get if you try to play an
encrypted DVD on
> xine without the css package

Well that is really interesting . Well my Fedora Core 4 installation of
xine is able of
playing encrypted DVDs , my Fedora Core 1 isn't , i suspect a crypled
installation
on Fedora Core 1 though .

  - IIRC it's something like libdvd-css.
> ibdvdcss.a
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          812 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.la
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so -> libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2 -> libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          65K Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2.0.8

Do you mean something like the above entries

( It comes from my Fedora Core 4 installation , it's part of the
/usr/lib directory )

I'm not  sure where you can get the Fedora    package, though.

First choice , the source
Second choice , the nearest Fedora Core Repository .

Thanks for the information .

> Anne

Kostas