OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 15 15:32:53 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> If they don't buckle, they only get to sell products that don't have
>> the various Windows badges of honour that makes it easy to sell your
>> product.  i.e. You go from potential mass market to tiny market.
>> Stores aren't going to stock allegedly "unsupported/unsupportable"
>> products.

Mike McCarty:
> That is not force, not law, not authority, and not fear. That
> is a voluntary contract entered into by adults.

It's hardly voluntary when you use stand-over tactics.  Vendors can't
very well say, oh well, we'll go and do our business with someone else.
The market is far too narrow.

You're either a fool, very blinkered, or agree with stand-over tactics.

>> That's not Microsoft porting to things, that's things being designed
>> to work with Windows.  The opposite direction.  That's done by

> Then why did the drivers come on my Windows disc? Lots of them.

That's absolutely nothing to do with "porting", that's just Microsoft
"including" other vendors software in their installation package.
Microsoft hasn't taken someone else's software and altered it to work in
their distribution (porting), they've just included it, perhaps also
auditing it and getting the vendor to fix problems they've discovered.

I read messages from the public lists.