Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 1 18:48:50 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 11:59, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>This is a common misconception. Windows is often portrayed as a cycle
>>hog. Since doing benchmarks is one of my hobbies (I dunno why), I have
>>run benchmarks on about a dozen machines I own, with three or on some
>>even five different OS installed. Windows is not a cycle hog.
>

> Until you try to do something... Benchmark the time to create a new
> process on windows vs.about anything else, or the time wasted
> in context switching among them.

By far the slowest machine/OS combination I have is Linux (FC2) on
my fastest (2.7GHz) machine. Windows XP on that same machine is
noticeably faster (not just measurably faster).

As an example, I just "right clicked" on my desktop, and it took
five (5) seconds for the menu to pop up. Selecting "open terminal"
took ten (10) seconds before first prompt. I have no unusual scripts
which run at terminal startup. Windows XP is much faster in starting
a console window.

I just opened Open Office "Writer Word Processor", and it took
thirty nine (39) seconds to initialize.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.