Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 1 19:09:36 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>>Until you try to do something... Benchmark the time to create a new
>>>process on windows vs.about anything else, or the time wasted
>>>in context switching among them.
>>
>>By far the slowest machine/OS combination I have is Linux (FC2) on
>>my fastest (2.7GHz) machine. Windows XP on that same machine is
>>noticeably faster (not just measurably faster).
>>
>>As an example, I just "right clicked" on my desktop, and it took
>>five (5) seconds for the menu to pop up. Selecting "open terminal"
>>took ten (10) seconds before first prompt. I have no unusual scripts
>>which run at terminal startup. Windows XP is much faster in starting
>>a console window.
>>
>>I just opened Open Office "Writer Word Processor", and it took
>>thirty nine (39) seconds to initialize.
>

> You are observing disk access time and window creation time,
> next to nothing to do with CPU time. For a similarly
> 'look and feel' approach to process creation time, run something
> like '/bin/echo test' on a virtual console and time it on the 2nd
> run when the program will be in the disk cache.

I am aware of what I am measuring. Thanks for the reply.

My original point stands. Windows is not a cycle hog. Also, my
second point stands. As far as "until you try to do something",
Word starts much faster on my machine than does Open Office.
So do many other apps, like my web browsers. I think this
qualifies as "creating a new process".

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.