Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 1 19:29:26 UTC 2006

Billy Tallis wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>>memory to service 4 modems, two 8 serial port dickens terminal servers
>>>which had a collection of terminals, XT's and 286's running procomm. One
>>
>>What version of Linux did you use? I don't know of any which can run
>>in 16MB of RAM.
>

> I have a 16MB laptop with a 133Mhz pentium that can run Knoppix and
> DSL. Networking is easy with SLIP or PLIP.

Perhaps I should have been more specific :-)

I don't know of any which can run on a 486 in 16MB of RAM and no swap.
I've got a 486 (actually an AMD586) which I'd like to run Knoppix
or the like on. It has 16MB of RAM, but very little hard disc. It
has a 3GB HD partitioned into two FAT16 partitions, one of them
full, the other with 40MB free. I'd like to run almost any version
of Linux on there, for purposes of file transfer. It has an old
10 Base 2, but I could probably put a 100 Base T on there, as it
has one PCI slot (IIRC).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.