Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:07:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 13:09, Mike McCarty wrote:

> My original point stands. Windows is not a cycle hog.

It has much more overhead when switching among several
processes.

> Also, my
> second point stands. As far as "until you try to do something",
> Word starts much faster on my machine than does Open Office.

Windows pre-loads much of the MS office library code. Compare
Open Office/windows, Open Office/Linux.  Linux will still lose
because X has more overhead but you'll be closer to reality
and in return for the X overhead you get the ability to
run any X app remotely.

> So do many other apps, like my web browsers. I think this
> qualifies as "creating a new process".

No, it has next to nothing to do with process creation.
'cat' would be closer.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com