Red Hat Commits To MIT's $100 Laptop

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Wed Feb 1 20:25:16 UTC 2006

Howdy,

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 19:34 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> taharka wrote:
>
> > Don't let those specs fool ya though. My present hardware firewall,
> > "m0n0wall" (FreeBSD based) runs on a 32MB CF card & rivals commercial
>
> 32MB!  Luxury!  Why when I were a lad you could get a very decent Linux
> install in 8MB of JFFS2.  kernel, Busybox, PHP, all mod cons.

Just to clarify, the entire m0n0wall system is a little over 5 MB & will
fit (with room to spare) on a 8 MB CF. However, 32 MB is the smallest CF
that my local drug store caries & probably cheaper than going on a turd
hunt for 8 MB CF ;-) Gee!!, "Why when I were a lad" we wouldn't be
having this discussion ;-)

> Despite having reservations about the Bubble-era track record of some of
> the Big Ideas that were printed when Wired had that lovely paper, and
> the fact the project ended up with Redhat only after trying to get in
> bed with Demonic Forces that were the first choice, the debloat
> discipline is sure to pay off for Fedora whatever happens with this OLPC
> project.

Fedora isn't the only one it will pay off for :-)

> -Andy

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.