Finding files containing 'string'

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 20:26:54 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2006 16:58, Paul Howarth wrote:
> My personal favourite solution for this problem:
>
> $ grep -i -r -l 'string' /place/to.start/searching

That worked well when I searched /etc, but when I tried the same search
on /usr or /var it got many 'no such file or directory' returns, and
eventually reported a loop in the search.  I wanted to save the results
to a text file.  The /etc one worked.  The other two resulted in a text
file being created, but at soon as it hit a non-existant file it jumped
back to screen, and nothing at all is written in the text file.

Anne