SATA Hardisk

Jean-Rene Cormier jrc at jrcormier.com
Thu Feb 2 13:00:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:14 +0530, arora.himanshu at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>      I purchased a SATA hardsisk few days back and now I have the
> problem with the installation on my old motherboard which doesnt
> support SATA hard-disk. I searched on web and found that 'SATA host
> adapter' would do the thing. Unfortunately it is not available in my
> city. Is there any solution so that I can connect it to my PC. Can I
> connect my hard-disk through USB port ? Can it be converted into
> external hard-disk through some mechanism?

A SATA host adapter isn't that expensive, I got a Promise 4 port one for
about 70-80$CDN about 2 years ago, a 2 port version should be even
cheaper. Or if you want an external HD you can get a external enclosure
for it but you'll need to make sure to get one that supports SATA hard
drives. But if you can't find a SATA host adapter in your city chances
are you won't find an external enclosure that support SATA either.
Unless you really want SATA for some reason, maybe you should just
return it and get an IDE HD.

--
Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc at jrcormier.com>