A question about procmailrc

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Thu Feb 2 17:32:44 UTC 2006

> On Thursday 02 Feb 2006 15:40, Hongwei Li wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question about .procmailrc.  Recently, our users received a
>> lot of junk emails that have the subject like:
>>
>> Aaa Bbbb Ccc/Xxxx Yyy/Zzzz Dddd/Eeee is out of the office.
>>
>> I want to set a line in procmailrc to put those emails in folder
>> Trash.  I
>>
>> tried it as:
>> :0:
>>
>> * ^Subject:.*.is.out.of.the.office*
>> $MAILDIR/Trash
>>
>> But, it does not work -- the mail still does to inbox.  I think the
>> problem is the part "Aaa Bbbb Ccc/Xxxx Yyy/Zzzz Dddd/Eeee",
>> especially the slash /
>>
>> How to change the code to do the job?
>>
> Are these maildir or mbox folders?  From the format above it sounds like
> mbox.  Perhaps these sample stanzas from mine will help if they are
> maildir
>
> :0
> * ^Subject: .*(Blogger post failed|DBMAIL: delivery failure)
> /dev/null
>
> :0
> * ^Subject: .*(embroider|cross-stitch)
> ${MAILDIR}.INBOX.Sewing/
>
> The first consigns messages with either of the two strings to /dev/null,
> the second directs messages to the Sewing sub-folder.
>
> If you are using mbox you will need locking, so ':0' becomes ':0:' and
> you should remove the final slash from the folder name.  HTH
>
> Anne
> --

No. Maybe, I should tell more at the beginning.  The part "Aaa Bbbb Ccc/Xxxx
Yyy/Zzzz Dddd/Eeee" is from Lotus Notes users.  Somehow the Lotus Notes set
some of their out going emails in such a strange "format".  Some of other
their emails show normal format, i.e. no that part, just normal "out of
office" or whatever.  Sometimes, they have that part. The notes admins have
not been able to "fix the problem" so far.  Then, I have to deal with it
myself.  My system uses mbox, e.g. the lines:

:0:
* ^Subject:.*DELIVERY FAILURE*
$MAILDIR/Trash

work well if no that part in the subject.

Thanks!

Hongwei