Re: cannot install binuntils

Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
Hi everyone.
I usr Fedora Core 4 (gcc 4.0 ) to build LFS 6.1.1 but  some erros  happened
when installing Binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2 pass 1 :

../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
creat
e executables.

Could someone help fix the problem? Thanks you.

--
===================
Nguyen Danh Hieu

I think the idea here is to use FC4 to host building Linux from Scratch.

If so, the other replies I've seen miss the mark, and the question should probably be directed to the LFS folk (or you should use Gentoo which also seeks to build everything from source but is self-hosting).

I presume that since you're from the Physics Faculty that performance might matter. As you're targetting x86 you might look at Intel's icc for key components such as glibc, ssl and anything else RH/Fedora builds special i686 binaries for.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au  Z1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au

do not reply off-list