cannot install binuntils

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 2 19:58:37 UTC 2006

Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I usr Fedora Core 4 (gcc 4.0 ) to build LFS 6.1.1 but  some erros  happened
> when installing Binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2 pass 1 :
>
> ../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> creat
> e executables.
>
> Could someone help fix the problem? Thanks you.
>
> --
> ===================
> Nguyen Danh Hieu

I think the idea here is to use FC4 to host building Linux from Scratch.

If so, the other replies I've seen miss the mark, and the question
should probably be directed to the LFS folk (or you should use Gentoo
which also seeks to build everything from source but is self-hosting).

I presume that since you're from the Physics Faculty that performance
might matter. As you're targetting x86 you might look at Intel's icc for
key components such as glibc, ssl and anything else RH/Fedora builds
special i686 binaries for.

--

Cheers
John