Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:24:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 01:05 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a multi-programmer project coming up. The application will be
> compiled, run and tested on a remote Linux box. I myself use FC4 + KDE
> + KDevelop, but the others with whom I will be working using Windows +
> Visual Studio 2k3. Are there any higher level (for lack of a better
> term) ways for them to code their share of the project from Windows
> besides Putty + Vim/Emacs ?
>
> Your suggestions will b e much appreciated.
>
> Arthur
>
> --

I had a similar problem with my own development team.
I did the following:
1. I configured multiple VNC account on the target FC4 machine. All
accounts were configured to use KDE.
2. I created an SMB share for each user.
3. I installed vnc-client on each Windows machine, and configure Windows
to use the SMB share.
4. I gave them a short how-to on how use to VNC, Kate/Anjuta/KDevelop
and Makefiles.
5. I create a smart generic make file for the project, making it easy
for them to add/remove files to the main project.

Now, that they are slowing getting into Linux, I plan to migrate the VNC
to an X-server. (Either X-win or Exceed) and give each of them his own
Linux machine to manage.

Gilboa