Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:33:54 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Alan Peery <peery at io.com> wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > I have a multi-programmer project coming up. The application will be
> > compiled, run and tested on a remote Linux box.
>
> There are three main paths here:
>
>    1. remote X windows.  Your machine is ready to go (minus a bit of
>       settings), windows PC could be given X capabilities via installing
>       the X windows package that is part of Cygwin (www.cygwin.com).

This sounds like something I would do for myself if I was the one stuck on
the Windows machine. Ie. a little too much.

   2. Running multiple VNC server sessions on the remote linux box (look
>       in /etc/vnc*) and connecting to them.  Easy for you (yum install
>       vnc), also very easy for Windows (www.tightvnc.com).

I am currently using VNC myself to connect to my workstation over the
university network, I think it works well, however, things like Alt+Tab
don't make it through, and it feels slow to me.

   3. Running NX (www.freenx.com) on the remote server, giving you
>       mutiple sessions running on the remote server ala VNC.  Clients
>       are readily available at www.nomachine.com.

What are your opinions  re: VNC v. NX ?

I would go for the VNC solution to start as it is an easier install than
> NX.  NX seems to have better handling of things like shift keys with the
> arrow key, and other subtleties of than VNC so convert over to it once
> you've figured out the install.  The primary reason to choose VNC or NX
> over X is the resumability of sessions, but remember to plan additional
> amounts of swap space on the machine as you'll be pushing the machine
> harder with full remote sessions.

I like the resumeability factor. The machine I may be getting for the work
might not be up to spec for this, do you think that my own 2.5GHz/1GB
RAN/1GB swap will possibly doing coding/compiling/testing then later
routinely copying over the src to the targer machine (over NFS) and building
there would be a good idea?

> Alan
> --
> Alan Peery