yum: No module named rpm

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 4 22:32:30 UTC 2006

Innocent Evil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to upgrade fc4 from fc3 through yum
>
> this is what I did:
>
> 1. I downloaded fedora-release package from fedora site
> 2. rpm -Uvh fedora-release-4-2.noarch.rpm
> 3. yum update
>
> And I rebooted my pc
>
> I tried 'yum update' again,
> I noticed something dependency or obselete message kernel-utils
> I removed all kernel*-fc3 packages and kernel-utils too
> I installed hardlink-fc4
>
> and then after problem began
> whenevr I run yum or 'yum update', I get:
>
> ======================
>
> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>
>    No module named rpm
>
> Please install a package which provides this module, or
> verify that the module is installed correctly.
>
> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
> current version of Python, which is:
> 2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
> [GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]
>
> If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
> the yum faq at:
>   http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
>
> ========================
>
> Please help me to fix this issue,

If I recall, yum needs sqlite to operate. I run development and had this
error before. I cannot recall if it was due to sqlite addition or some
other package.

You might check the fedora-test-list archive for some clues. I am
guessing this problem was discussed 4 months ago on that list.

Jim

--
The person who can smile when something goes wrong has thought of
someone to blame it on.