Kernel 2.6.15-1.1830 lock-up issues

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Feb 5 01:23:16 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 10:53 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> Installed the new kernel this am, and updated all my modules (fglrx and
> ntfs, plus the vmwareplayer). All seemed well. Returned to the machine some
> time later and it was in screen saver. I have this machine set to require a
> password  to exit screensaver. It took the password and the desktop opened.
> Then, I noticed there was no mouse cursor. Looked at the CPU activity
> monitor and it was pegged at 100%. Waited a long while but to no avail. Was
> able to switch to a console with Ctl-Alt-F1 but before I could log in, I
> got a kernel panic and some messages about being unable to sync. I did a
> hard reset and came back up, and then tried a reboot. The screen switched
> to black after a moment, and the machine hung - no commands accepted, no
> activity visible on the machine, nothing - did another hard reset. Per an
> earlier message, I tried upgrading module-init-tools from updates-testing.
> Tried another reboot, but got the same result again when I tried a
> shutdown... For now, I've booted into the previous kernel.

Just tried this on a second machine, a P4 2.0 with 640MB ram. Running the same
kernel-modules, fglrx and NTFS, plus the vmwareplayer, all of which i updated
- seem to have the same results - system just locked up on shutdown. I didn't
wait to see what would happen in screen-saver mode. I haven't upgraded
module-init-tools on this machine, yet, and I guess I'll hold off. Booting
into previous kernel keeps me going for now.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA