X11 startup

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Feb 5 09:23:18 UTC 2006

Juan L. Pastor wrote:

> I am trying to boot my system in ASCII mode, no X11, to install the
> nVidia driver, but I am not able to do it. In the past, I changed the

You don't describe what IS happening, just what isn't.  X is starting up
anyway?  Telinit 3 or your other plan should do it.

Another way to come at is to stick

3

on the kernel commandline, via /boot/grub/grub.conf or by pressing A
when grub runs at boot-time.

Maybe something else starts X, from /etc/rc.local or something.  Nuclear
weapon: introduce a deliberate error in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

-Andy