Disable network init on boot?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 5 18:14:36 UTC 2006

Toralf Lund wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 14:47 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>

>>> I need to be able to start up the system in single user mode at least.
>>>

>> Stick a 1 on the end of the kernel line (edit the GRUB entry by pressing
>> the e key when the GRUB menu appears)
>>

> Obviously, you missed my point. I know how to request single user mode.
> The problem is that the system hangs in the hardware init phase i.e.
> before it even gets to the stage where it would present me with a shell
> in single user.

In that case, you are probably going to have to boot from a
rescue CD. In single user mode, the network in not supposed to
be initialized. Now, if you put the module for the NIC in
/etc/modprobe.preload instead of creating an alias for it in
/etc/modprobe.conf, then the system will try and load it every
time it boots, instead of just when you try and bring up the
interface.

You could try using init=/bin/bash instead of 1 so that it skips
all the init scripts. But I don't think that will help with a
module in /etc/modprobe.preload. (I could be wrong - I don't
remember how the modules in modprobe.preload are loaded...)

Mikkel