Corrupted rpmdb recovery

Ovidiu Lixandru ovidiu at linux360.ro
Mon Feb 6 14:33:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've got a FC4 system. While doing an yum update today, the power was
cut. Upon booting the machine again and trying to resume the update, yum
complained about a corrupted db.
I initially tried "rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*". Nothing. Moved onto "rpm
--rebuilddb". Only ~100 packages made it back into the db from the total
of 1000+.
Upon googling around, I found out about rpm --justdb. My
/var/log/rpmpkgs file is intact, all the previously installed files are
in it. But upon running "rpm --justdb --notriggers --noscripts -Uvh
/var/log/rpmpkgs", rpm complains (of course) about the missing rpm
files. Is there any way of automatically downloading the required files
and serving them to rpm? yum --downloadonly seems to have vanished, too.
I'd be most grateful for your suggestions.
TIA

--
Ovidiu Lixandru
linux360