Wireless network sharing

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 6 23:11:42 UTC 2006

Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Got a quick question that a friend asked at work.  He has a network of
> desktops and laptops at home, all connected via Wireless-G router
> (Linksys), either wireless or via cable.  Can the wireless machines
> share files/devices with the cabled machines, no matter the OS?  Yes, in
> his environment he is running Windows (not sure which version), but also
> asking in my case, of running Windows XP AND Fedora.
>
> I think he said the problem he ran into was it told him he had to
> connect the cable and basically, I guess, wouldn't do it via wireless
> connection.

Plug all the wired clients into one of the four LAN connectors (directly
or by extending it with another switch) and you're cooking with gas.

It's exactly what I do at home (wrt54g) and exactly what we do at work
(Airport Extremes).

Not what you want I know, but for completeness, you can plug your wired
LAN in via the "modem" connector and isolate the two networks, and the
WRT54G has the capabily of isolating clients from each other. Note this
does _not_ prevent snooping with software such as Kismet.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait