/etc/fstab Woes

Nathaniel Hall nathaniel.d.hall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:12:55 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am having problems with getting permissions correct using my fstab.  I
am mounting to a Windows file server from a Core 4 box.  I am able to
connect to the share and mess with files, but permissions are not
correct.  I do not run as a root user, so when I write a file it is
owned by root.  I would like it to be owned by my username so that I do
not have to change the owner when I want to edit the file.

Here is my /etc/fstab
//server/share   /media/server/share   cifs
credentials=/home/user/.smbcredentials/user.cred,rw,user 0 0

Does anybody have any suggestions?