/etc/fstab Woes

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:02:49 UTC 2006

2006/2/8, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:

> I don't know what's in your credentials file, or whether it can be done
> there, but the usual way to assign ownership to someone with a Samba
> mount it to include uid and gid values in the fstab options.
>
> e.g. //server/share /mountpoint cifs uid=tim,gid=tim,rw
>
> And so on...

Tim,
is not in general a good practice to write your user and password in a plain
text file like fstab. For this is reccommended the use of credential file
with 600 as permission. But this is a different issue from uid and gid,
specified for assigning (only in the Linux box) user and group to the
externals files in the SMB share.
So, Nathaniel have to put uid and gid in the fstab file for the correct
user, and continue to use the credential file for the User/Password for the
M$ box

HTH

--
Alessandro Brezzi