Autostarting Apps at Gnome Login

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 16:17:54 UTC 2006

Thom Paine wrote:
> I'm looking to have some apps autostart in gnome. I'd ultimately like
> Evolution to start fullscreen on workspace 1, firefox on workspace 2,
> and a couple of terminal windows on workspace 3. I can't seem to
> figure out where to put this. When I tinkered with blackbox you could
> specify the coordinates for apps to start and size and stuff.
>
> Can someone give me a point in the direction to look for this. I can't
> seem to get good hits on this.
>
> Thanks.

You can define startup applications in the session manager:

Gnome Menu -> Desktop -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Sessions

Then go to the Startup Programs tab and add the new programs you want to
startup at login.

With respect to where they load, geometry, etc., you will need to look
at 'devilspie':

http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie

You will need to compile from source.

There is a decent tutorial on use here:

http://x2.zuavra.net/index.php/48/

with more configuration examples here:

http://wiki.foosel.net/linux/devilspie

You can load devilspie in the same startup tab as the other applications
above.

Note that I had to fiddle with it to get it to load and run properly,
which ended up involving setting the order for devilspie to be the last
application to load and using the following command line:

devilspie -a&

HTH,

Marc Schwartz