Desperate situation

My main workstation is awaiting its turn to move to FC4, and was running
Mandriva.  I now find that I cannot boot from the primary drive at all.  It
looks as though something desperate has happened to the MBR, where lilo
lived.

Checking my data backup, I find that I have missed a whole, vitally important,
directory.  I need to get that data to a safe place before trying anything in
the way of rescue.

I have got knoppix 3.2 up and can see the files.  I've got a pen-drive mounted
as root, but can't copy the files onto it.  Trying
cp /mnt/hde7/anne/Gnucash/ /mnt/sde	gets
cp: omitting directory /mnt/hde7/anne/Gnucash/

I tried to do it with a gui, but 'kdesu konqueror' says that it cannot connect
to the X server.

I'm now desperate.  How can I get those files onto my pen-drive?

Anne