(fedora) Re: how to setup rsh(d) on FC4

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 01:47:04 UTC 2006

Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:

> ports 512-514 are open on both sides. The machines are on the same local
> network without any firewall apart from their own ones. portmapper is
> running on both sides. So what netfilter can be in the way?
>
> The only thing I'm not sure about is selinux (I do not fully understand the
> configuration, which is still "default" on this machine) Can that in the way?

I got rsh working between two FC4 hosts.  On the server side I had to
enable both rsh and rlogin in xinetd.d, and I had to unfilter ports
512:514/tcp (on the server side).

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp --dport 512:514 -j ACCEPT

No additional netfilter rules were required on the client side.

SELinux is disabled on both the client and the server.

Jay