Corrupt Superblock on /home

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 10 02:12:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 16:20 -0500, Nancy Merckle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still haven't been able to boot up my FC4 box, beyond repair mode
> without a live distro CD.  The attempt gave me errors on /home with
> something along the lines of (from my notes):
>  	Buffer I/O error on device hdb1
>  	/dev/hdb1 reaad failed after 0 of 2048 at 0
>  	No Volume group found
>
> Using the live distro, I was able to determine that all of hdba will mount
> (except hdba3 which is swap space) along with hdb2, my /data directory.
> All mounted and I could see the files on /dev/hda1 (/boot), /dev/hda2
> (/1), /dev/hda4 (/data1), /dev/sda1 (usb drive) and /dev/hdb2 (/data).
> The plan was to have OS files on hda and most/all data on hdb so that if
> the OS disk got hosed data wouldn't be lost.
>
> I tried "mount /dev/hdb1 -vt ext3 /mnt/hdb1" and got
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
>         missing codepage or other error
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> root at 2[root]# dmesg | tail
> Buffer I/O error on device hdb1, logical block 7
> hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=63, high=0,
> low=63, sector=63
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 63
> FAT: unable to read boot sector
> hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=65, high=0,
> low=65, sector=65
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 65
> EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
>
> I can't remember the command I used next, but I wound up getting the
> result of a "bad magic number in superblock"
>
> When I went back to repair mode, the file system start up gives clean
> report on /1, /boot, /data and /data1.
>
> I tried e3fsck, e2fsck with both the -cc and -t options followed by
> similar commands with plain fsck.  This last try at fsck -t ext3 /dev/hdb1
> gave me "Attempt to read block from file system resulting in short read
> while trying to open /dev/hdb1. Could this be a zero-length partition?
> I've even tried these commands on /dev/hdb and all I got was a little
> longer wait time before the bad news.
>
> I'm getting to the end of everything I can think of to do.  My next bright
> idea is to try to change the partition names from /data1 to /home and
> making hdb1 /<something else> to verify that the OS is still working and
> perhaps get me back and running (although at a diminished capacity) while
> I learn and research.  I've even toyed with the idea of installing windoze
> on the /data1 drive to see if I could get some sort of windoze disk data
> rescue software to retreive what I could of hdb1.  Unless there has been
> some magic discovery of a software retrival package for linux since the
> last time it was discussed on this list.

> [...]
----
Are you absolutely certain that /dev/hdb1 was your /home ?

when you are booted with live cd...

try

fdisk -l /dev/hdb

and that should give a list of partitions that it recognizes on the
disk. Perhaps that isn't your /home after all...that would seem to be a
less than logical place to put /home.

Craig