Re: Desperate situation

On Friday 10 February 2006 16:41, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Anne,
Hi, Mikkel

>  The first test you should run is the one from the drive
> manufacturer's web site or from the Ultimate Boot CD.
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

OK - I've got that already burned to disk.

> You will tie up a machine while the test is running, but you
> will do that with any good drive testing program. The thing
> is, these tests are normally customized for the drive firmware,
> so you tend to get a good test. This is especially true if you
> run the destructive tests. (Write pattern to drive, read it
> back, write another pattern. wipes all the data.) Depending
> on the software, some will even let you low-level format the
> drive. Sometimes this is enough to resurrect a drive.

Hmm - when I'm sure that I can't get anything else useful off it, I'll try
that.  I've got FC4 installing at the moment on the new drive.  I installed
the old one as slave, but the FC4 installer tells me that it can't read the
partition table.  That's odd, because knoppix could read it.

Anne